can i use r-134 in my home air conditioner?


More Info on Air Conditioners

    Comments on can i use r-134 in my home air conditioner? Leave a Comment

    December 19, 2010

    Tom A @ 3:56 pm #

    Your a/c unit should have a tag on it that tells you which freon is in it.

    don.t mix refrigerants

    dobbiethehouseelf @ 3:56 pm #

    I really don’t think so.

    norm @ 3:56 pm #

    You can’t mix refrigerants. Look on the plate to see what kind of charge your unit has.

    Corky R @ 3:56 pm #

    There should be a tag on the inside of the cabinet, or possibly on the face of the unit, under the filter cover, that will tell you what type of freon/coolant was used in it. I would stay with the same type.

    ja man @ 3:56 pm #

    open it up and look at it some will take the R-134 you just need to check it out first I would imagine so since it is what has become widely used

    j_nick57 @ 3:56 pm #

    Probably not.

    Your home air conditioner is almost certainly designed for R-22 which has a very different boiling curve than R-134.

    Dr. Bugly @ 3:56 pm #

    No, No and No. Most home A/C units use R-22. They have different boiling temps. You cannot mix them.

    Eric @ 3:56 pm #

    NO! Most central units I know use R-22.

    electricpole @ 3:56 pm #

    Most Central Air units used R-22. Many small window units use R-134a. Check the data tag for type and amount of charge. If it is older than about 14 yrs, it may have R-12, which is obsolete. none are interchangeable, and each unit ws designed with the characteristices of the particular refrigerant use in mind.

    paulofhouston @ 3:56 pm #

    If central no, if window unit check tag, probably not.Do not mix!!! and do not try to substitute as each unit is designed for a particular type of gas.Are you sure you don’t need a lisense.where you live?

    union_american @ 3:56 pm #

    I agree with others here. No, Use R-22.

    Leave a Comment

    Fields marked by an asterisk (*) are required.

    Powered by Yahoo! Answers
    The owner of this website, Brian D., is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking Air Conditioners to Amazon properties including, but not limited to,,,,, or