How To Charge An Air Conditioner That Is Low On Refrigerant

Kung Fu Maintenance demonstrates how to charge an air conditioner through the suction side only by feel. Buy The Kung Fu Maintenance E Book Here http://www.a…

Related Products
Central Air Conditioner Repair – Installing a Central Air Unit
Repair your trusty Trane Central Air Conditioner suffering from some of the following issues: Installing a Central Air Unit Visit...
AHIT’s Practical Guide to Inspecting Air Conditioners – July 10, 2013
Join Christopher Chirafisi, AHIT Director of Technical Training, for this informative webinar series which will provide an overview of important...
Why Does My Air Conditioner (A/C) Freeze Up?
http://www.randrheating.com Question from Dorothy on Facebook (www.facebook.com/randrheating.com) “Why does my AC freeze?” Thanks for the question, Dorothy....

25 Comments

• Johnny onthespot says:

is it possible to make a tut about how to read the gauges when charging a
    unit with low freon in HD in the near future? you can’t read the gauges in
    360p. But great vid btw!!

• KungFuMaintenance says:

That may be possible. It’s a good idea. Hopefully I can do that eventually.
    It is most important that you understand to purge air first. The charge on
    these systems is not as sensitive as many make it out to seem. Especially
    if you have a capillarity tube type restrictive device at the evap coil.
    The refrigerant is only allowed to be metered to the evap coil at fixed
    rate if a bit more freon there remainder is held in the pot of the
    compressor. No big deal as long as it is not overly excessive.

• John Smith says:

I have a brand new manifold that has a bad high side gauge. When I purge my
    manifold, I purge from my yellow hose. It has a low leak fitting, and a
    schrader T that it can be looped on, so I use an allen wrench to open the
    low loss core, and blow the air out. That way, when I put the open end back
    on the T, it keeps air from entering.

• John Smith says:

I have a brand new manifold that has a bad high side gauge. When I purge my
    manifold, I purge from my yellow hose. It has a low leak fitting, and a
    schrader T that it can be looped on, so I use an allen wrench to open the
    low loss core, and blow the air out. That way, when I put the open end back
    on the T, it keeps air from entering. Also, my high side hose has a low
    loss, so I remove the low loss, and release the liquid back into the low
    side before I remove my hoses.

• Larryis5150 says:

If you at ANYTIME have to recharge ANY AC unit, its because it has a
    leak…!!!

• SigSauer40cal says:

Sometimes new construction homes will be undercharged, due to a longer line
    set to the evaporator. The installers fail to test the refrigerant for the
    correct amount, therefore adding extra refrigerant is common.

• Colin G says:

In Canada we have to scale or weigh in our charge. If I found a unit with
    30 psi on the low side and It was over 100 degrees out, that would be a
    sure indication that system had a leak. I would by law have to repair the
    leak or recover the R22 in the unit and decommission the unit for
    environmental purposes.

• thetruth says:

Ok, and Is there a way to calculate the pounds needed before adding??

• Shawna MacGregor says:

As R22 is being phased out, is there a possibility of conversion to a type
    that isn’t being phased out?

• Grand Negus says:

i can’t see what you are doing.

• Morgan Jr says:

tanta letras y anuncios no dejan ver nada

• John Mccranie says:

I guess this is ok for topping off a system just to get the custom out of
    trouble but this is NOT an ACCURATE charging method. To accurately recharge
    or top off a system with a fixed metering device you would need a sling
    psychrometer (for taking the wet bulb temp close to the return grilled), a
    dual probe digital thermometer (1 probe for taking the temp of the suction
    line & 1 probe for taking the ambient dry bulb temp), an accurate set of
    gauges, & a charging chart for the refrigerant being introduced. The
    charging chart determines what the superheat or
    (Split) should be. Not a predetermined # in someones head as demonstrated
    in this video. A digital scale is always a good idea so you know exactly
    how much refrigerant to charge the custom for.

• John Mccranie says:

I forgot to mention that if a system has a leak then its always best to
    perform a leak search, find the leak, repair it, evacuate the system & then
    recharge it! That is of course if the cust is willing to pay for it. I
    couldnt help noticing this appears to be an old Goldman unit with a
    newer.compressor in it. So, which is more? The leak repair or the
    compressor replacements?

• tony cruger says:

so where is the refrigerant when the aircon is off??where did you suck the
    refrigerant from??

• Bernard Lee says:

Pretty good demonstration

• wasim hamid says:

Nyc turbul shoting

• David West says:

I have a Payne 4 ton, on our first day of hot weather I turned the a/c on,
    after 10 minutes no cooling I went outside, the fan was off and the unit
    was making a hum. Took off a side plate and the capacitor top was not
    flat, I changed it, unit started working properly, a couple weeks passed,
    noticed cooling was barely working, bought a set of gauges and the low side
    was 27 psig, I added a little over 5lbs of R-22 and the low side went to
    64 psig 40 on the R–22 gage, the pipe started sweating and the inside
    temp dropped and the unit cycled off and on. I noticed a oily substance
    around the high side port, and on the bottom of the port dirt had
    collected. I think when I changed the capacitor I took the caps off both
    ports to look at them and failed to tighten the high side port causing it
    to leak out freon. I will put the gauges on again in about a week to see
    if it’s holding.

• MiniDevilDF says:

Thanks! Great way to save a few hundred dollars by spending an hour of time
    or less.

• olironlungs says:

Looks like she could use some rubitex too

• Rodney Thornhill says:

that’s pretty old school but hey I like old school

• Mark yeo says:

i can’t see what the hel he is doin

• alphasxsignal says:

Works for me and keeps my units cooooooooool

• Mike Csolak says:

Why do these guys continue to show potentially dangerous procedures and
    then say you have to be EPA certified. Do they want average homeowner to
    pay a 25000.00 fine or what lol. Heck they should fine them. This is
    dangerous in my opinion. Gives the homeowner a false sense of confidence.

• D Murr says:

Not a good camera angle for most of the procedure

• terrell landry says: